Monday, August 2

Puttin' up Berries

Um, I can't believe it's been over a week since I first mentioned all I was going to do over the weekend, as in LAST weekend!  It feels like it's been so busy around here.  So anyways, I did indeed put up all the food I wanted to and I thought I give a little instruction so y'all can do it, too.  First up are the berries.

Sure, many of you might have trouble still finding berries this late in the season but just think of this as planning ahead for next year.  This is the easiest THING in the world!  All you have to do is take your blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries and give them a good wash, pick out all the debris and stems.  Let them dry thoroughly.   Then simply place them on a single layer on top of a tray ( I use a rimmed cookie sheet) and freeze about 24 hours.  The next day I place 1 cup into a sandwich baggie and then place all the baggies into a freezer bag.  It's so easy to know I have exactly one cup, or two, to put into pies, muffin, or quick breads.  That's all there it to it.  I have read about adding sugar to the baggies, but to me it seems pointless.  I never do that.  This is such a great way to begin preserving food, anyone can do it!

It's such a simple and inexpensive way to have fresh berries year round.  Yes, you can simply pick up some frozen berries at the store, but I like knowing that my berries came from a local farmer.  :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails