Wednesday, March 11

dinner tonight...

First off, I simply CAN NOT believe how long it's been since I posted. We've just been so busy around here. Even now, I'm having to type this out one handed with a baby on my hip!

Meal planning is often quoted by moms as a difficult task. A lot of times it's because they haven't planned at all. I believe in tackling it head on by stocking your freezer and writing down your meals. So often you can double your recipes; marinate twice as much meat, double that casserole, or simply freeze leftovers for another week. It's also important to WRITE down what's for dinner. Whether you jot it down a week, two weeks, or a month in advance, you will know what needs to be taken out of the fridge to thaw or what needs to be picked up at the store.

I personally plan all my meals in advance. When I first heard of people doing this I thought they were crazy! But, I was desperate to eliminate one thing from the daily hassle once I started selling at my etsy shop. I dove right in about a year ago or so and love it! I plan out my meals for the month and all the things I need from the store. Then on Saturday I put Dad in charge, and I get to cooking. Sometimes all I have to do is heat it up, others I have all the prep work done and only have to spend minimal time cooking.

One things I make nearly every month is Macaroni and Cheese because everyone loves mine. So I thought I'd share it with ya'll. Want to make it healthier? Add pureed cauliflower orsweet potatoes, just be careful not to add to much that will alter the flavor. I added cauliflower that had been cooked and merely chopped one time thinking it would look like the pasta. Um, no. The kids and hubby picked up on it right away.

Over medium heat, combine 1/3 c. of butter and flour stirring until melted and smooth. Add 3 cups milk and heat, stirring, until thickened. To that add 1/2 c sour cream and 4 oz of cream cheese. (Don't count the calories.)
 Add 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Stir in 4 cups of sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 Parmesan cheese. Use good quality cheese, it really does make a difference. Mix with 1 lb of cooked elbow pasta. Bake in a greased 3 qt dish at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails