Tuesday, November 16

simple skirt

At my church, we're donating shoeboxes to the children of Haiti.  And this year, I decided to add in a few handmade gifts.   For the girl, (I like to do one for each child) I stitched up a little skirt.  It was so quick and easy!
Basically here's how I did it:
1.  Cut a strip of fabric, selvage to selvage, with the desired height.  I used  my daughter as a model.  I, then, added approximately 2 inches to the measurement.  

2.  Sewed up the side selvage edges with a 1/2 inch seam.  Press open.  Since the ends are selvages, they don't need to be finished off.  YEA!

3.  Fold down the top of the skirt at 1/4 in and then again at just shy of 1 inch.  Pressing down with each fold. This will be your elastic casing.    Edge stitch at the bottom of this seam leaving a 2 inch gap for inserting the elastic.

4.  Pin one end of the  (3/4 in wide) elastic to one opening to keep it in place.  Attach a safety pin to the other end and guide it through the casing.    Once through, overlap ends of elastic by 1/2 inch and sew several lines of stitching to keep them together.  Sew opening closed, being careful to not sew elastic.

5.  Smooth elastic through casing.  I like to sew a short line of stitching through the elastic at the seam line.  This keeps the elastic from turning.  I HATE when that happens!

6.  Hem the skirt by folding up 1/2 inch, press, and then another 1/2 inch and press.  Edge stitch along the bottom.

7.  Then I appliquéd a simple bird shape.  I used a light sewable iron-on adheseive to adhere the bird applique.  Then used a narrow zig-zag stitch to permanently attach it to the skirt.  Honestly, it took me 20-30 minutes TOPS.  So easy, and so sweet.


Sorry I don't have any pictures of the process!  I didn't think of it at the time, so typical of me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails