Wednesday, November 17

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

I love butternut squash soup!  But, no one else in the family does.  I don't know what's wrong with them.  Instead of forcing it down their throats at dinner amidst crying and whining I made some just for me.  It's SO good.   A perfect fall recipe that's much better than you can buy in the store.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Cut 1 medium squash in half and remove seeds.  Place flesh side down in a roasting pan drizzled with olive oil.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until it's nice and tender.

Let it cool enough so that you can touch it and scoop out the pulp into a blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Totally reminded me of baby food!

Pour into a pot over medium low heat and add about 2 cups of chicken broth.  Make sure it's GOOD broth, homemade is preferable.  Make sure not to pour too much broth in or you'll have to add some cornstarch to thicken it back in, I know this from experience.  I also added in about a 1/2 cup of milk and 2 T of butter to make it a little creamy.  I read somewhere to blend in cream cheese and I'm totally trying that next time.

Once you get the right consistency, it's time to play with the spices!  I used salt, pepper, ginger, and garlic powder to taste (I didn't think to use real garlic until I was almost done!).  You could try nutmeg, red pepper or curry powder.  Then just dish it up.  I'm going to freeze the remaining soup in portion sizes so I can break up the stay at home mom lunch monotony.


Don't you just LOVE my soup mug!!  I love the cracker pocket!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails