Wednesday, October 20

Lunch box Solution- Homemade Hummus

Do y'all get in a lunch box rut at your house?  I wish I could pretend school lunches were super healthy and inexpensive and just send them to school everyday eating the cafeteria food.  But I can't.  Even if I did, the kids wouldn't eat everything that is fixed anyways.  So, nearly everyday I find myself preparing lunches for one kid who doesn't eat sandwiches (!) and another who only eats fruit.  I've never encouraged this level of picky-ness, I believe it comes from their father's side of the family.  :)  I lay no claim to that part of their personalities.

My oldest, Caleb, the non-sandwich, non-fruit kid does like hummus, though.  I whipped a batch today to put in his lunch with some crackers for something different.  Because while he eats more variety than my daughter, he doesn't want to eat the same thing too often unlike Natalie who will gladly eat the same three fruits day in and day out.  He gets that from my husband, he really does.  Ask anyone who knows us.

The hummus is SO good and it's terribly good for him.  With the protein and fiber from the garbanzo beans, the oh-so-good for you olive oil, garlic, and fresh lemon juice, I can feel good about sending him to school with this in his lunch.  

Lunch box Hummus

3 cloves of garlic
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
2 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
dash of hot sauce
2 T olive oil

Mince garlic in food processor.  Add beans and next 4 ingredients, processing until smooth.  With food processor running, slowly pour oil through shoot.  Blend until smooth.

Easy wasn't it?!  Serve with crackers or pita bread.  It takes no time to prepare and I paid $1 for the beans (they were organic, so a little on the pricier side), everything else I had on hand.  There's a good 4-5 servings made from this, so not bad  I say.  I just had some for lunch, so I'm not really sure how long it will last.  For crying out loud, I could whip this up while the kids eat breakfast just in time for the lunch box packing!  Easy and healthy, which makes this mama happy.

*Yes, you can just buy hummus in the store.  However, I prefer to know what is in my food whenever feasible.  I also like this version better without the tahini paste.  Plus, this is less expensive than store bought and taste better.  One day I will find a cracker recipe we all like, until then I bend and hand out store bought processed crackers.*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails