Monday, March 1

Boy, have I been reading

I haven't updated my reading list, but I've read a good number of books so here goes with my quick thoughts on each.

Strange Fits of Passion by Anita Shreve
I have enjoyed nearly all of Shreve's books and this one didn't disappoint me.  After, reading the book I'm so grateful for my husband who is kind and gentle and loving.

The Space Between Before and After by Jean Reynolds Page
Twisted theology but surprisingly pro-life.  Whether the author meant it or not, is not what I'm saying.  It was just very life affirming and I love that!

The Untelling by Tayari Jones
Bleh.  This one was not so pro life.  Besides that, I simply found the end of the book leaving me feeling as if the author couldn't tidy up the story and simply ended it.  The ending is complete but I don't understand how it became that way.  Dissatisfying.

Crafty Superstar by Grace Dobush
Encouraging, practical, informative.  Not much different than Craft, Inc. though.  Don't buy both. ;)

What She Left for Me by Tracie Peterson
This book is all about grace.  It deals with some difficult subjects, so be warned.   Yes, these are fictional characters so their Christian grace can go over and  beyond what I think I'm capable of.  They were two parts to this book that really frustrated me.  I don't want to give away anything so you'll have to read the novel to understand what I mean.  But, I want to say the daughter, "Come on!  It's one thing to forgive, but THAT was going to far!"  I could not imagine anyone woman I know doing what she did at the end of the book.  To the Great-Aunt, "You knew and you did NOTHING?"  Somehow I thought there should have at least been an apology or a little outrage by the mother.

Unspoken by Francine Rivers
I love Francine Rivers books.  I think not only does she create realistic characters in realistic situations, she is truly gifted as a writer.  I have yet to read a book that I haven't loved.  This book is a "historical fiction" of the story of Bathsheba and David.  Rivers takes plenty of liberty and tells a story of what could have happened.   So the specifics of this story are not to be taken as gospel, obviously.  But what is to be taken is that God is merciful and gracious.  Yes, what David and Bathsheba did was wrong, if you don't know what I'm talking about, go read your Bible.  :)  But, later they were blessed to raise Solomon who would become the wisest king of Israel.  Truly a shining example of God's grace.  I can't wait to read the rest of her books in The Lineage of Grace series.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails