Monday, January 19

Baby food

Let me warn you, I'm about to get on my soap box for a minute. I make my own baby food. I do not like store bought baby food. Mine is far superior in test, quality, freshness and cleanliness.

Back when I was a little girl, I over heard a conversation between my parents. Apparently, a church member who worked in a Gerber factory said he would never feed his child Gerber food because of how dirty the place was. I immediately decided that I would fix my own food. Have you ever tasted that stuff? It's nasty. Yes, I have resorted to using the jarred food in emergencies, but trust me, I did it with objections! :)

Making your own baby food is so simple and easy. You do not need crazy equipment or baby food cookbooks with exotic recipes. Since my little guy is beginning to eat solid foods, I plan on adding posts to my blog about the adventure. If you have a baby I hope you'll consider joining me as I feed my baby. And please, if you have any questions, please ask me!

First up on the menu for Ian, was potatoes. I like to start with potatoes because they are bland, they look cereal, and are easy to digest. All you have to do is clean, peel, and slice you potatoes. Boil in water until tender. The time varies depending on how big your chunks of potatoes are. I like to reserve the cooking water which is so full of vitamins, to thin out my potato puree. Once, your potatoes are tender, just process them with either a mixer or a food mill. Do NOT use a blender, unless you want wall paper paste! I then pass the mixture through a sieve or a colander to remove any large pieces. Then thin the puree using reserved potato water, breastmilk, or water. I freeze my purees in ice cube trays. The fancy trays they sell in catalogs are nice, but not at all necessary.

As your baby gets older, potatoes are great to mix it in with all types of vegetables like peas, beans, broccoli, and zucchini. You cal also mix them with meats and apple purees.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails