Monday, July 25

homemade pesto

my little backyard garden is pretty poorly this year.  so sad.  the only things that are growing great are my herbs, one of which is basil.   we use a lot of pesto in this house so i wanted to make some fresh pesto with all my basil.  easy-peasy.

2 cups fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

toss it all together in your food processor.  give it a good whirl and you're done.  see?  told you it was easy peasy.  freeze your pesto in ice cube trays or small containers if you won't use it right away.


we use pesto all the time when we make pizza.  it's also good topped on a baked potato or mixed with fresh pasta for a simple and quick weeknight meal.

i've made it twice now.  i place my first batch in the fridge anticipating a chance to use it the next day.  i went to bed early that night because i was sick.  i remembered hearing a crash and something breaking in the kitchen where my husband was, but i was too tired to get out of bed to investigate.  the next morning i realized what it was...all my fresh pesto.  bummer.  luckily my basil has been growing so well i was able to make another batch.

The Shabby Nest

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails