Wednesday, July 22

I stole a cat!


Now, before you get in a tizzy, let me explain why I stole my neighbor's cat. Ever since we moved into this home about a year and half ago, Socks the kitty has visited our yard. He would come running whenever we came outside and swirl around our legs looking for a little love. We never fed him more than the occasional kitty treat. Things went like this for the better part of a year. It was a happy friendship with us and Socks the cat.

Then the neighbor's separated and the children went with the mom to live elsewhere.

This seemed to upset the cat who was left behind. Socks started coming to our windows and doors and meowing. He had a lot to say about the separation I guess, because he meowed a lot. Often at night.

Over the next couple of months, Socks began to spend more and more of his time on our deck sleeping his day away. He seemed to be content and we figured he just missed having the kids home next door.

Eventually, Socks no longer went back home. I would see him all day in our backyard. Now, let me preface this by saying Socks is not a hunter. I've seen him let baby snakes slither by. He's never touched the lizards, bunnies, squirrels, or birds who live in our yard. Socks didn't care about the mouse who found his way into our garage. (Seriously, I wouldn't mind him going after the mice and snakes!)

My husband was the first to notice that Socks was getting downright scrawny. Whether our neighbor expected the cat to fend for himself or whether Socks refused to eat next door, I don't know. But, the very next day I went out and bought a cat dish and cat food.

So, I don't know if you can say we stole him exactly, maybe it's more like Socks the cat adopted us. Either way, he's ours for now. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails